Tuesday 21 April 2009

A Brush with Darkness

Ive run out the front of South Lodge in the middle of the night, there's a flashy sports car parked at the entrance gates. I'm wondering who's parked here at this time of night. I may bump it and it clicks or a light comes on, ( a bit like activiating either an alarm or locking system). I begin to walk down the road from my house towards the village hall and I realise there's somebody approaching but all I feel is a dark shadow brush past me. I know its a man and I think the car belongs to him. Fear begins to rise as I hear him turn around and I know he's coming after me.
Somehow I'm now inside my house, my husband is here. Its the dead of night and I feel the man is still out there, angry, waiting. I'm telling Alan about it and I feel really scared as he goes to check if he's still there. I'm hoping he's just going to look out through the letter box -I'm horrified as he opens the door right up. What's he going to do if this 'threatening' man just bursts past him?
And sure enough someone just pushes past him into the house -and relief dawns as i see its not a scarey man but one of my brothers, Wayne. I remember he told me a while ago he was coming late in the evening. After him my other two brothers arrive and even my father following up the rear, looking a little bemused. You too? I say, and he shrugs his shoulders...realising he had no choice really, having Alzheimers they couldn't leave him at home alone. It was a long journey is all he says, he'd have ralther stayed at home. They're all hungry but Wayne has brought food for himself.
I feel a little unprepared for the whole of the male contingency of my family to arrive. I'm trying to accomodate them with food etc but just a bit taken aback by it all. I think David, Wayne and Michael say theyre not staying, just resting here a moment for a cup of tea then going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment